Department of Mechanical Engineering
Center for Control, Dynamical Systems and Computation
University of California at Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5070
Email: joey (at) engineering (dot) ucsb (dot) edu
I entered the Ph.D. program at the University of California, Santa Barbara in September 2005 in the area of Dynamic Systems, Control, and Robotics. In 2007 I started working with my Ph.D. advisor Professor Francesco Bullo. My research interests include algorithms for mobile robots, with a focus on distributed coordination and autonomous navigation.
- Some slides summarizing my work through early 2010: On Distributed Coordination in Robotic Networks.
- The latest Smooth Nearness Diagram Navigation driver for Player/Stage can be found on the code page.
- To find out more about my research, please check out some of my movies and slides on the media page, read about the robots in our lab, or check out my list of publications.
Travel and Talks
- 2010 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2010), December 12-15, 2011, Orlando, FL
- 2010 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2010), December 15-17, 2010, Atlanta, GA
- 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2010), May 3-8, 2010, Anchorage, AK
- 2009 ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSCC 2009), October 12-14, 2009, Hollywood, CA
- 2008 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent RObots and Systems (IROS 2008), September, 22-26, 2008, Nice, France
- 2007 SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, May 28-June 1, 2007, Snowbird, UT
- Spring 2010: ME 170A / ECE 181A, Introduction to Robotics. Instructor: Francesco Bullo
- Spring 2009: ME 170A / ECE 181A, Introduction to Robotics. Instructor: Francesco Bullo
Mentoring & OutreachUndergraduate Research:
- Alex Morales: Search and pursuit using safe region graphs, Spring 2009-Spring 2011
- Max Hinson: RRT methods for robotic arms, Summer 2010
- Sergio Sanchez and Max Ramirez: Assistive semi-autonomous navigation for a power wheelchair, Winter 2010-Spring 2010
- Sharice Handa: Color blob following for mobile robots using computer vision, Fall 2008 - Spring 2009
- Benjamin Domingo: Wall-following algorithms for mobile robots, Summer 2008 - Spring 2009
- 2008-2009: Designing soccer-playing robots to compete in RoboCup.
- 2007-2008: Wireless connectivity extension system for mobile robots.
- 2006-2007: Constructing a cheap laser rangefinder using webcams and laser pointers.
- After school science club robot demonstration at Santa Barbara Junior High School, May, 2010
- After school science club robot demonstration at La Cumbre Junior High School, March, 2010
- Summer Institute in Mathematics, two week intensive research project for incoming UCSB freshmen, see their final presentation: Obstacle Avoidance for Mobile Robots, August 2008
- Expanding Pathways to Science, Engineering & Mathematics, two week intensive research project for area community college students, see their final presentation: Obstacle Avoidance for Mobile Robots, July 2008
- Let's Explore Applied Physical Science, graduate student teaching fellow helping run small group labs and design fun learning activities twice a week in 8th grade Physical Sciences classes at Santa Barbara Junior High School, 2006-2007